What is IAHU and NAHU?
IndyAHU is part of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU), a professional organization that represents more than 100,000 licensed health insurance agents, brokers, consultants and benefit professionals through more than 200 chapters across America. NAHU members service the health insurance needs of large and small employers as well as people seeking individual health insurance coverage.
IndyAHU is also one of 7 Indiana chapters under the ISAHU banner. When you pay dues to NAHU, a portion is given to ISAHU and each local chapter and you’re automatically a member of your National, State, and Local chapter.
The Mission of IndyAHU
The Indianapolis Association of Health Underwriters is on a mission to promote the development and growth of our members in Central Indiana through education and training, mentoring, collaboration, advocacy, development of resources, and legislation.
The Vision of IndyAHU
The Indianapolis Association of Health Underwriters works so every Hoosier might benefit from knowledgeable members promoting high-quality consumer-driven health, life, and other insurance products.
What do IndyAHU members do?
IndyAHU members are helping Hoosiers enroll in group benefit plans, Medicare plans, insurance exchanges, and advising their customers about the best course of action for their health.
Our members can do their jobs because together, we’re working in the Statehouse and across the nation to protect consumer options, champion effective legislation, and educate our members on new changes, laws, policies, and products.
Professional health insurance agents and broker:
- Know the market—by distinguishing the best products from the merely adequate
- Know the law—by reviewing state and federal legislation and regulations that impact the sale of health insurance products.
- Know the industry—by completing stringent licensing requirements and continuing education courses
A year with IndyAHU
In a year with IndyAHU you’ll be able to:
- Volunteer in our community with the Damar Halloween Party we host each year
- Finish your 3 hours of Ethics CE at one or more Ethics events hosted through the year
- Earn dozens more hours of CE at regular monthly networking and CE events
- Develop your skills and network by meeting new members, experienced professionals, and talented speakers
Our legislative efforts strive to educate officials on both the federal and state levels about the healthcare system and the vital role of the health insurance agent as a consumer resource and advocate. With our partners at ISAHU and ISAHU-PAC, we have:
- Shepherded legislation that allows greater control over small group market definitions
- Enabled protections to keep dental benefits affordable for insurers and Hoosiers
- Secured legislation to exempt agent fees and commissions from being exploited
IndyAHU’s Certification programs, professional designation courses, online resources, monthly meetings, and outings are just a few ways we develop professionally and personally.
- Monthly education meetings with special guest speakers
- Local connections to the annual INsure Health and Benefits Expo
- Annual Legislative Day- visit with state legislators
- NAHU Capitol Conference- visit with legislators at Capitol Hill
- NAHU national conference
- Continuing Education Events
- Leading Producers Round Table
- IndyAHU Annual Golf Outing
NAHU’s Code of Ethics
- To hold the selling, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a professional and public trust and do all in my power to maintain its prestige.
- To keep paramount the needs of those whom I serve.
- To respect my clients’ trust in me, and to never do anything which would betray their trust or confidence.
- To give all service possible when service is needed.
- To present policies factually and accurately, providing all information necessary for the issuance of sound insurance coverage to the public I serve.
- To use no advertising which I know may be false or misleading.
- To consider the sale, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a career, to know and abide by the laws of any jurisdiction Federal and State in which I practice and seek constantly to increase my knowledge and improve my ability to meet the needs of my clients.
- To be fair and just to my competitors, and to engage in no practices which may reflect unfavorably on myself or my industry.
- To treat prospects, clients and companies fairly by submitting applications which reveal all available information pertinent to underwriting a policy.
- To extend honest and professional conduct to my clients, associates, fellow agents and brokers, and the company or companies whose products I represent.