2018-2019 IAHU Strategic Plan Meeting Minutes
Who We Are:
IAHU is part of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU), a professional organization that represents more than 100,000 licensed health insurance agents, brokers, consultants and benefit professionals through more than 200 chapters across America. NAHU members service the health insurance needs of large and small employers as well as people seeking individual health insurance coverage.
Every day, NAHU members work to obtain insurance for clients who are struggling to balance their desire to purchase high-quality and comprehensive health coverage with the reality of rapidly escalating medical care costs. One of NAHU’s primary goals is to do everything we can to promote access to affordable health insurance coverage.
NAHU members help millions of consumers by guiding them through the complexities of health insurance purchasing and enrollment, while ensuring they get the best policy at the most affordable price. We seek to understand each personal situation to create recommendations that complement a client’s financial and medical security needs.
And our job does not end with the sale. Our licensed producers help their clients with claims issues, service questions and compliance matters throughout the life of each policy they sell.
The clients of NAHU members range from Fortune 500 companies to mom-and-pop businesses and individuals seeking health insurance. Our members have a unique understanding of consumer health care needs, the perspective of business owners and the economic realties of health insurance markets.
We not only sell traditional health insurance products, but also coverage such as dental, long-term care, disability, Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplements and a variety of consumer-driven products. Members agree to abide by NAHU’s Code of Ethics, which requires them to always make health care coverage recommendations with the customer’s best interest in mind.
NAHU offers its members a multitude of educational opportunities, including advanced designation programs, continuing-education classes and online learning. NAHU provides its members with professional conferences and networking functions, publications and business-development tools. We also conduct advocacy efforts at the state and federal levels of government to advance the interests of health insurance professionals and to promote affordable and responsible private health insurance market solutions.
The Indianapolis Association of Health Underwriters is on a mission to promote the development and growth of our members in Central Indiana through education and training, mentoring, collaboration, advocacy, development of resources, and legislation.
The Indianapolis Association of Health Underwriters works so every Hoosier might benefit from knowledgeable members promoting high-quality consumer-driven health, life, and other insurance products.
Strategic Goals and Objectives:
Goal 1: To provide value added benefits to our members
- Clearly communicate the value of membership to our current members and our prospective members
- Offer at least one hour of continuing education course at each monthly meeting
- Offer new and exciting events outside of or in place of monthly member meetings
- Half day continuing education events to
- Networking opportunities at member events
- Sponsorship opportunities at golf outings, half day continuing education events, and monthly events
Goal 2: To grow and develop our membership
- Plan and hold new events to engage current and prospective members.
- Different dates
- Different times of day
- Different settings
- Use our board members and their relationships and resources to drive membership from different funnels
- Licensing courses
- Other association meetings, etc.
- Offer fresh and new continuing education courses that our members won’t be able to find elsewhere
- Follow up with members when their membership is set to renew or is newly lapsed to decrease attrition